Residents of Retirement Villages Victoria is an active and representative group for all people living in Retirement Villages in Victoria; a voice for all the Residents, a voice promoting Residents’ rights, and the voice to government at all levels.
It is the Residents’ organisation putting forward Residents’ views, ideas and opinions by:
- Referral to legal/support services in cases where Residents are in dispute with a Retirement Village operator or other Residents.
- Contributing to policy debate and to advocates on behalf of the community of Retirement Village Residents.
- The provision of information concerning the development and/or operation of a Retirement Village Residents’ committee.
- Education of its members and the broader community of the issues affecting Retirement Village Residents.
- Facilitating a collective voice on issues, needs and problems regarding Retirement Village Residents.
- Liaison with relevant government departments at both State and Federal level, local councils and relevant peak organisations.
- Promoting interaction between Retirement Village Residents throughout Victoria.
- Providing general information concerning Retirement Village matters.
- Encourage sustainability in existing and future Retirement Villages.
The more members we have, the greater our collective representation, so we encourage all retirement village residents to join and become members.
For details of our past and current campaigns Click Here.
For a copy of our constitution see Rules of the Association
Current & Recent Activities
Inquiry into the Retirement Housing Sector
The Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry into Retirement Housing has received hundreds of submissions including many from RRVV members.
The Legal and Social Issues Committee is inquiring into the operation and regulation of the retirement housing sector, including retirement villages, with the aim of identifying opportunities for improvement and reform. The Committee is required to consider:
- existing legislation that relates to retirement housing, in particular recommendations for reform of retirement housing legislation.
- comparable reviews and recommendations for reform in other Australian and overseas jurisdictions;
- the experiences and views of residents of retirement housing and their families and retirement housing owners and managers;
- the option to appoint a Retirement Housing Ombudsman; and
- the impact of local government rating on retirement housing.
The Committee is required to report no later than 1 March 2017.
Click Here for a copy of RRVV’s submission.
Survey of Retirement Village Residents
Towards the end of 2015, the National Ageing Research Institute, an independent research institute, conducted a survey of residents of retirement villages on behalf of the RRVV. The survey focussed on residents’ experiences with managers and owners of the villages. Click Here for a synopsis of the survey results. The RRVV would like to thank nearly 2,000 members and retirement village residents for taking part.
Access to Justice
The State Government is conducting a review to improve access to justice for Victorians with an everyday legal problem or dispute. The RRVV took the opportunity to press its case for a Retirement Housing Ombudsman and has submitted a report on the needs and experiences of retirement village residents backed by several case studies. Click Here for a copy of this submission. Details of this review are available from the Department of Justice website at www.myviews.justice.vic.gov.au/accesstojustice
Consumer Property Law Review
Consumer Affairs Victoria is undertaking a review of the the legislation covering consumer property which includes the Owners Corporations Act 2006. The review will:
- identify opportunities to modernise and improve the legislation, taking into account stakeholders’ experiences and industry developments
- examine whether the legislation efficiently and effectively regulates the conduct of licensed practitioners involved in the sale of land,
- real estate transactions and management of owners corporations
- recommend changes to improve the way the legislation operates.
The RRVV made a submission regarding the impact of this legislation on retirement villlages; to down load a copy, Click Here.
Rates Justice Campaign
The RRVV made a submission to the Review of the Local Government Act 1989 regarding differential rating provisions for retirement villages and the inconsistent decisions that various local councils have made in this matter. Please Click Here for a copy of RRVV’s submission. For information about the review go to www.yourcouncilyourcommunity.vic.gov.au
Free Publicity for your Village Events