Inquiry into the Retirement Housing Sector
The Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry into Retirement Housing is investigating the operation and regulation of the retirement housing sector, including retirement villages, with the aim of identifying opportunities for improvement and reform, taking into account:
- Existing legislation that relates to retirement housing, in particular recommendations for reform of retirement housing legislation.
- Comparable reviews and recommendations for reform in other Australian and overseas jurisdictions;
- The experiences and views of residents of retirement housing and their families and retirement housing owners and managers;
- The option to appoint a Retirement Housing Ombudsman; and
- The impact of local government rating on retirement housing.
The Legal and Social Issues Committee received 766 submissions including many from our members, as well as a submission from the RRVV. Click on the button to read these submissions:
The Committee has conducted a series of public hearings in Melbourne and regional centres. A special thanks to all our members who made the effort to attend the hearing on 16 November at Parliament House when our vice-president, Lawrie Robertson, addressed the committee, focussing on five main areas in which reform is needed:
- The appointment of a retirement housing ombudsman
- Differential council rates for retirement villages
- Improving operators’ maintenance practices
- The selection and training of village managers
- User-friendly contracts.
The Committee is now preparing its report which is due to be presented to Parliament on 7 March 2017. RRVV is planning to take part in a media conference that day; for details go to our Events Page.
Annual General Meeting
The 2016 RRVV Annual General Meeting was held on 17 October 2016 in Melbourne. To read the President’s report and the minutes of the meeting click on the following buttons: President’s ReportAGM Minutes
Survey of Retirement Village Residents
Towards the end of 2015, the National Ageing Research Institute, an independent research institute, conducted a survey of residents of retirement villages on behalf of the RRVV. The survey focussed on residents’ experiences with managers and owners of the villages. Click Here for a synopsis of the survey results. The RRVV would like to thank nearly 2,000 members and retirement village residents for taking part.
Access to Justice
The State Government is conducting a review to improve access to justice for Victorians with an everyday legal problem or dispute. The RRVV took the opportunity to press its case for a Retirement Housing Ombudsman and has submitted a report on the needs and experiences of retirement village residents backed by several case studies. Click Here for a copy of this submission. Details of this review are available from the Department of Justice website at www.myviews.justice.vic.gov.au/accesstojustice
Consumer Property Law Review
Consumer Affairs Victoria (CVA) is undertaking a review of the the legislation covering consumer property which includes the Owners Corporations Act 2006. The review will:
- identify opportunities to modernise and improve the legislation, taking into account stakeholders’ experiences and industry developments
- examine whether the legislation efficiently and effectively regulates the conduct of licensed practitioners involved in the sale of land,
- real estate transactions and management of owners corporations
- recommend changes to improve the way the legislation operates.
The RRVV made a submission regarding the impact of this legislation on retirement villlages; to down load a copy, Click Here.
Based on submissions and feedback from two issues papers, CVA published an Options Paper towards the end of 2016 which outlined potential changes that could be made to the Owners Corporations Act. The RRVV made a further submission with detailed responses to the 66 questions raised in the options paper. For more information click on the following buttons:
Proposals arising from this review are planned to be considered by the Victorian Parliament in 2018.
Rates Justice Campaign
The RRVV made a submission to the Review of the Local Government Act 1989 regarding differential rating provisions for retirement villages and the inconsistent decisions that various local councils have made in this matter. Please Click Here for a copy of RRVV’s submission. For information about the review go to www.yourcouncilyourcommunity.vic.gov.au
Free Publicity for your Village Events
If you would like to publicise events or activities in your village to a wider audience, please send us the details via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will put them on our Events page on this website.